The term technology is derived from two Greek words: ‘tekne’ and ‘logia’. Tekne means technique and arts while logia mean skill over something.
What Is Technology?
Technology is defined as a set of techniques and knowledge that are applicable in an orderly manner with the aim of achieving a particular objective or tackling a worldly problem.
Why Was Technology Invented?
Technology was invented in the response of desire of humans for modifying the environment as well as improves their quality of life. With the development in knowledge, approaches and techniques over time; technology has become rapidly organized in order to gratify the advanced needs of the world.
What Are The Advanced Needs Of Technology?
Today, technology is required in production along with other prominent factors like labor, land, and capital. The aim of utilizing technology is gratifying needs that may include the transformation of the environment, increases in efficiency, improvement in anesthetics, resolution of problems, and much more. Some advanced technologies like cleaner production methods are made for improving the quality of people. Conversely, misusing these technologies can impose potential harm to people and society. For instance, technology is being used for violence, crimes, frauds, and assaults.
What Are The Types Of Technology?
Technology can be categorized in accordance with numerous criteria. Based on its tangibility classification, technology is divided into two types:
- Soft Technology: It includes all the intangible or non-physical assets; for instance, advanced economic theories, advanced resource management types, or software.
- Dura Technology: It includes all the tangible or physical technologies such as anti-earthquake buildings, dura pump technology and so on.
- Further, technology can be classified into two types based on the diversity of sectors:
- Flexible Technology: It includes those technologies that are applied in numerous study areas and activities. The prominent example of flexible technology is a nanotechnology that is utilized in the field of health and telecommunications both.
- Fixed Technology: Such technologies are applied in specific fields. For example, a surgical operation machine is used in hospitals.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Technology
Below we explain both the benefits and the consequences of technology in society:
- Increased productivity. Advances in technology have made it possible to create tools that have increased productivity in recent years. It has been achieved thanks to the automation of infinite processes.
- Communications improvements. The transport of people and the methods of communication between individuals have improved a lot thanks to technology, providing greater ease in communications.
- Reduction of costs. The creation of more efficient systems or automation have made production processes
- Access to information. Today, we have access to virtually unlimited information thanks to technology.
- Appearance of new business models. Technology has undoubtedly brought a revolution in business. The advancement of this has given rise to a large number of alternatives in the entrepreneurial world.
- Advances in science. The creation of new machines, intended for researchers, has brought great advances and discoveries in areas as important as medicine.
- Isolation from people. The emergence of social networks or streaming content platforms has led to a greater degree of loneliness in most of the citizens.
- Loss of privacy. The use of technological devices collects user information and distributes it among a multitude of companies.
- Psychological problems. The constant exposure and visualization of “prototypes of people” has psychologically destabilized a part of society. Generating depressions or other negative disorders.
- Sedentary. Society has very high rates of sedentary lifestyle due to the appearance of products such as electric scooters.
- Environment. The technology allows to carry out a higher production than the environment can support. This situation brings with it the increase of, for example, natural disasters.
How Technology Is Related To Science?
Technology and Science have overlapping concepts but they are two separate entities. The prime difference between these two factors is the purpose. Both of them have varying purposes. Science seeks for retrieving knowledge whereas technology is the application of such knowledge in an organised and rational manner in order to solve a problem. Additionally, science is all about seeking the truth whereas technology seeks efficiency.
Like science, technology tends to support each other. For instance, science uses technology for research while science uses technology for solving a problem.
We bring you a selection of examples related to technology:
- Artificial intelligence.
- System internet.
- Means of transport.
Technology is a knowledge of applying knowledge orderly to achieve an objective or resolve an issue. It was invented for facilitating and improving human life. Its advantages includes more efficiency, speed and accuracy. There are some drawbacks of technology such as increasing crimes, loss of privacy, and isolation. It is concluded that advantages and disadvantages of technology are based on its utilization.